This site uses cookies. To find out more, see our Cookies Policy

Operations supervisor in Vancouver at Veolia North America

Date Posted: 3/20/2018

Job Snapshot

Job Description

The operations supervisor assesses, monitors and supervises works carried out in our clients’ premises while managing the working teams. He/she guarantees compliance with and application of the rules and standards stipulated by the company and government authorities.

Primary responsabilities
  • Assess future work in conjunction with the client’s representatives and prepare bids;
  • Communicate personnel and equipment requirements to the dispatcher and prepare equipment for future works;
  • Obtain work permits and liaise with the client’s representative for work procedures (entry into confined spaces, lockout, etc.);
  • Coordinate work preparation according to ongoing contracts in conjunction with the dispatch department and the representatives;
  • Manage the different teams on the work sites;
  • Guarantee the respect and application of the policies and procedures established by the Company, the clients and government agencies;
  • Visit work sites and assess working methods and profitability;
  • Protect the workers’ health and safety on work sites, including verifying personal protective equipment availability, confirming that the equipment is used appropriately by the workers, guaranteeing equipment cleanliness and worker hygiene, analyzing risks and making workplaces secure;
  • Organize health & safety breaks, site visits and audits of ongoing works;
  • Oversee personnel discipline while maintaining harmony within the working team (unionized personnel);
  • Prepare works during scheduled work stoppages in the clients’ premises;
  • Report any relevant information or situation to the regional director;
  • Complete the documents relating to hazardous situations, near misses, incidents and accidents at work;
  • Participate in investigations relating to accidents at work in conjunction with the OHS department;
  • Attend monthly OHS Committee meetings;
  • When requested by the regional director, carry out any work associated with his/her functions;
  • Support the sales and dispatch departments;
  • Prepare and develop different procedures and work instructions;
  • Administrative management of the branch when the Operations Director is absent or on leave.


Job Requirements

Knowledge, skills and experience
  • Secondary school diploma or any other related qualification;
  • 5 to 7 years’ experience in a similar position or combination of knowledge of the transport/trucking domain and equivalent experience in management;
  • Experience in personnel management or supervision in a unionized work environment.
  • Resourcefulness and initiative;
  • Good work ethic;
  • Leadership;
  • Good communication skills;
  • Well organized and good observation skills.

Work environment

The job holder spends approximately 80% of his/her time supervising personnel and making sure the client is satisfied and spends the rest of his/her time (20%) updating files/reports/documents, preparing reports for his/her director and attending meetings.